What is Mandela day?
Nelson Mandela International Day or Mandela Day, is an annual international day in honor of Nelson Mandela. It is celebrated on Mandela’s birthday which is 18 July. The day was officially declared by the United Nations in November 2009. The firs official UN Mandela Day was held on 18 July 2010. Other groups began celebrating Mandela Day as early as 18 July 2009.
What can you do on Mandela Day?
Here are some ideas as to what you can do for Mandela Day:
- Give in memory to someone you care about.
- Donate some of your old items.
- Make someone smile
- Join a community service program.
- Give food to those in need.
- Cycle for a purpose by signing up for the 94.7 Cycle Challenge on November 16.
- Joburg Child Welfare is using Mandela Day to promote exciting volunteerism projects.
- Donate R100 towards Mandela school diaries.
- Visit HospiceWits in Houghton on Mandela Day and have your car washed for R67.
- Qhubeka suggests you spend your 67 minutes teaching a child how to ride a bike or getting on your bike and picking up litter.
- Make sure you have registered for the MySchool card. That way, your shopping at Woolworths will mean someone less fortunate benefits as well.
- Donate your R2 to the Add Hope campaign of KFC
- The Ripple Reading room needs volunteers to help create a reading garden on July 18 and revamp the premises in Lanseria.
- The Viva school-readiness camp will run from Monday to July 18.
- Arrange a blood drive at work and bake something for the people who donate blood.
- Sponsor a guide dog through the SA Guide-Dogs Association for the Blind.
- Clean the Hennops River with a group of environmentalists.
- Ride for Mandela in the Johannesburg Freedom Ride while also helping the bicycling empowerment network raise funds for a bike empowerment centre in Orlando.