The museum is Nelson Mandela’s first house. It is located at 8115 Ngakane Street, Orlando West, Soweto. The museum is comprised of four rooms containing a history of paintings and photographs of the Mandela Family. Also in the museum is a collection of honorary doctorates received by Mandela from universities around the world. On display is also a boxing belt from Sugar Ray Leonard, a multi coloured cloak presented to him and a row of his old boots.
The history of the Nelson Mandela Family Museum:
Nelson Mandela moved into the house in 1946 when he was still married to his first wife Evelyn Ntoko Mase. When they got a divorce Evelyn moved out of the house. When Mandela married his second wife Winnifred Madikizela she moved into the home in 1958. Madikizela continued to live in the house with their two daughter Zindzi and Zeni whilst Mandela was serving his sentence.
When the couple divorced in 1996 Mandela handed the house to the Soweto Heritage Trust but Madikizela-Mandela refused to give up the house. She thenturned it into the Mandela Family Museum.
Features of the Nelson Mandela Family Museum:
The house is a single-story red-brick home built back in 1945. It has bullet holes in the walls and the facade has scorch marks from attacks. The inside hosts some original furnishings and memorabilia. These include photographs, citations given to Nelson Mandela, and the world championship belt given to Mandela by Sugar Ray Leonard.
In 2009, the property has been upgraded to include a visitors’ centre and a small museum.
The museum opens daily from 9 a.m to 5 p.m.